Monday, October 16, 2023

Mt. Timp or Mt. Death??

As you've heard, we've been training to do the Rim 2 Rim in October. For one of our training hikes we decided doing Mt. Timp would be a good one. Megan's always wanted to do it so she joined us. It started out great. We were all feeling good and we were going at a really good pace. At about 5 miles, we didn't know it, but the sign we passed that pointed to the way to Mt. Timp was broken and actually pointed to the harder way. Same mileage, but one was up gentle switchbacks and the way we chose was straight up the mountain in snow! And about this time my heart started telling me it really didn't like the elevation, but I was so close! I kept thinking just around the corner. It wasn't. I hated the hike. It was painful and took me days to recover. The good news is my leg muscles were totally fine - I've been training well. But my lame heart couldn't do it. It was depressing but I made it to the top without dying and now I never have to do that hike again!! Hurrah!

Proof we ran into Kurt on the trail

View of the terrible trail behind us. At least it's pretty

When I see this picture I want to yell at her to stop and turn around! We were about to start climbing straight up that snow mountain

At the top and none of us really cared because the last part is awful. Look how puffy my face is!


Aunt Linz would be proud

The broken sign that led us astray




At the saddle. My advice to anyone doing it - just go to the saddle. I like the views better there anyway!


Goats!




Llamas!

My swollen hands at the finish line. The end.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment