Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Rim 2 Rim

Watching the sun set and trying not to throw up thinking about what we were about to do the next day!
We did the Rim 2 Rim at the Grand Canyon!!! 23 miles, 6,000 ft in elevation gain all done in 11 hours! It's basically 7 miles down, 7 miles across and 7 miles up. We went from south kaibab trail to the north kaibab trail. The up and the down are both brutal for different reasons. I'm still not sure why I wanted to do this and why/when I decided to do this but we've been planning it for a year, after we heard Kurt did it. I figured I like hiking so maybe this is something I could do. I trained hard and it payed off, I wasn't very sore after and I finished first! It was one of the hardest things I've ever done (that last 2 miles is a doosey). But I'm proud I did it and I'm grateful I was able to talk these people into doing it with me!
Kurt trying to show Tina where we end (you can't see it, it's too far away)!
We couldn't have done it without Bish - he was our driver that met us on the other side - a 3 and 1/2 hour drive just to show you how far we went.




Here we go!



We got to watch the sun come up, it was beautiful. The trail is made up of steps like this the ENTIRE way!


Accurate




One of Toby's many pit stops




Made it to the bottom and crossed the Colorado River!







Phantom Ranch at the bottom has yummy lemonade for you and you can also send postcards through their mule mail. It was a lovely stop


7 miles down 14 to go


Toby and I went ahead of the group because I knew I'd have to go slower on the way up because of my heart and I didn't want them to have to wait for me, so we only saw each other a few times on the trail.





Our 2nd stop was at this river. It was heaven. We got in fully clothed, ate our sandwiches and felt like new people. It was pretty hot by this time


From the river Kurt & Monte hiked up to this waterfall

Can you spot the trail?


Another pit stop


So close! The trees and view totally change at the end. It was crazy

So. Many. Steps!

We did it!

We did it! The rest of the group finished about 40 minutes after us. I had already started into my usual post workout shivers hence all the layers of clothes.

Comparing trail stories
Realizing we all have to get in the car for a 2 hour ride. It was the worst. The longest drive we've ever had.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment