Friday, December 4, 2009

The Next Phase

I've learned that there are many phases in life: school, marriage, jobs, kids, etc. There are also different phases when dealing with terminal cancer, and unfortunately, we are getting closer to the last and final phase with my mom.

She is so strong and hardly complains about the terrible pain that she is in. But we are grateful for every day, hour, minute and second we have with her. I feel like she is a fountain of wisdom and I find myself asking her as many questions as I can to try and partake of that wisdom.

Although this is heartbreaking, we knew it was coming and we know we were given much more time than most. This picture is my mom and Max one year ago. One year ago when I was so exhausted I could barely see straight. One year ago when the Dr.'s said my mom would only live for a couple months at the most. But now, a year has gone by. A wonderful year of getting to know our chunk we like to call Max. A year of fun vacations with family and just enjoying being together. We have been blessed!

4 comments:

  1. April,
    I got to know your Mom when she was the camp director for the stake. She is an amazing woman! I was so sad when I heard that she had cancer. I have checked back to your blog often, and the way you descirbe your mom, it is the way I remember her. Strong, kind, loving, full of wonderful advice.
    Kristie (Tolman) Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so sorry to hear about your mom. But I am glad you have had this year with her. You guys have been through so much and I hope you have the peace you want. Please let us know if you ever need anything. Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  3. April and Toby (and kiddies)...
    Just want you to know that we're thinking about and praying for you guys during this tough time. Hope you guys are holding up okay.

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family has been in our prayers, I am so grateful you have had this wonderful year with your Mom. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete